“For the past ten years the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association has held an annual event in cities across the US, to promote health and fitness. At Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama (BCBSAL), we know taking a walk is one of the simplest, safest and most effective forms of exercise. This is why Blue Cross sponsors facilitates National [email protected] Day events. These events encourage people with busy lifestyles – like you! – to enjoy a nice walk during your lunch break. We hope these events encourage you, your friends, and your co-workers to make daily walks a part of your routine.”
For April’s team building activity, the AFS Huntsville office wanted to promote health and wellness by being Active Together. Since it’s impossible for all of us to participate during our lunch times, we thought it would be a great idea to get everyone together for a walk after hours. The walk occurred in Huntsville up Harris Hill which is parallel to Chapman Mountain. Harris Hill is a steep upward hill that is approximately 2 miles long. The AFS team tackled the steep hill which took our team 32-45 minutes to complete with all participants taking over 4,000 steps each!
It’s been widely accepted that taking 10,000 steps to your daily routine promotes health. A new study by the International Journal of Obesity states that at least 15,000 steps maintains a healthy weight, a trim waistline and a normal metabolism with no risk for cardiac disease.
It can be hard to find time in our busy schedules to participate in physical activity. According to BCBSAL, taking a walk is one of the simplest, safest and most effective forms of exercise. This is why Blue Cross sponsors and facilitates National [email protected] Day events.
Quick Facts about [email protected]
- Spring 2017 will be the 11th annual National [email protected] Day.
- National [email protected] Day is a nationwide event created by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
- National [email protected] Day is designed to encourage people of all ages, backgrounds and lifestyles to make walking a healthy habit for life.
- Participation grows every year. Last year, more than 14,000 people participated in National [email protected] Day events in Alabama.
- Businesses, schools and other local organizations are invited to plan walks all across the state of Alabama.
- In 2016, Blue Cross donated $5,000 to the Governor’s Commission on Physical Fitness and Sports on behalf of participating businesses, schools and individuals.
Can’t take a walk during lunch? No worries, BCBSAL wants you to make this your own event with [email protected] or [email protected] When or whatever you decide, the goal is to just be active! Celebrate National [email protected] Day with Blue Cross!
Back to News & Events