What Happens When There’s Too Much Moisture In Your Home?

It’s easy to ignore a problem if you can’t see it. We all do it.  We ignore a problem with our cars because we can’t see what’s under the hood.  Health-wise, it’s easy to ignore high cholesterol or blood sugar…because you can’t see that either.  The same bad habits apply at home.

While you can’t always see moisture in your basement or crawlspace…it’s there.  And it is causing problems in your home upstairs. Here’s just a few ways that excess moisture affects your home:

  • Dust mite growth…the #1 indoor allergy.
  • Sticking doors and windows
  • Smelly, damp carpets
  • Buckling hardwood floors
  • Condensation, rot or mold in your attic.
  • Condensation on the inside of windows
  • Increased heating and cooling bills…damp air takes more energy to heat and to cool.
  • Mold upstairs
  • Decreased life of roof sheathing and shingles
  • Decreased life of paint on the outside of your house.
  • Aggravated asthma and allergies

What you can’t see CAN hurt you, and your home.  Don’t ignore a wet basement or crawlspace. Take steps to fix the problem. AFS can help, and it all starts with a free inspection.

Source: “Negative Effects” Crawl Space Science. L. Janesky


Back to News & Events