Having mold in your home is never a pleasant sight. Although this fungus is rather unappealing and smelly, that is not the main problem. Struggling with a mold infestation can seriously affect your health and your family’s well-being. Unfortunately, a lot of homeowners don’t take the mold problem very seriously, especially if the mold is present in areas they rarely use, such as the crawl space. Regardless of which part of your home was infested, you should immediately take the necessary steps to get rid of this fungus. Otherwise, you could easily put your whole family in danger. Mold infestation is often a result of poor moisture management, so it is always a good idea to contact expert contractors in Nashville, TN, and opt for different waterproofing systems. Let’s take a closer look at all the ways mold could affect your health and how to get rid of it.
What Problems Can Mold Cause?
If you have a mold infestation in your home, don’t be surprised if you are always sneezing. Mild infestation can trigger allergies, so your eyes could also become red, watery, and itchy. A skin rash, a chronic cough, sinus congestion, hoarse voice, and headaches are also common. If you are struggling with these health issues, check your house for mold.
Waterproofing your home and keeping the moisture out is especially important if you have asthma. Mold appears in warm and moist places like crawl spaces, so make sure every part of your house stays dry. People who have asthma could have severe reactions and have a hard time breathing. Those with a weak immune system could develop hypersensitivity pneumonitis. A severe infestation can lead to mold poisoning called mycotoxicosis. Symptoms of this condition include nausea, giddiness, drowsiness, twitching, convulsions, and prolonged sleepiness. Although there are tests that could detect this problem, doctors won’t be able to tell you with certainty when or where you’ve been exposed to mold.
Who Is Most Likely to Suffer from Mold-Induced Health Issues?
There is no one-size-fits-all rule when it comes to mold effects. While some people could live in an infested house and develop zero health problems, others may become sick the moment they come into contact with this fungus. If you or some members of your family have allergies, you may be more sensitive to mold. People with chronic lung disease or immune suppression are more likely to develop fungal infections, as are those with respiratory diseases such as asthma.
While adults are less prone to problems caused by mold, unless they already have asthma or allergies, seniors and children are more likely to develop health issues. In addition, patients who are undergoing chemotherapy could also experience respiratory issues and breathing problems. If you have noticed your family members or you are personally having some of these symptoms, contact your health provider and go for a checkup.
Which Types of Mold Are Dangerous?
There isn’t just one type of mold that could infest your home. Your crawl space could attract different types of mold, and some of them are not dangerous at all. However, if you have black mold in your crawl space, you should be concerned. This type of mold releases mold spores and causes mycotoxins. It triggers allergies and makes existing health issues much worse. Unfortunately, even the slightest exposure can impact your health and lead to problems.
Apart from black mold, there is also white mold and yellow mold. White mold is not as invasive, but it can trigger allergies. It looks like mushrooms, so it is easy to spot. On the other hand, yellow mold doesn’t cause any health problems, but it can damage the underlying infrastructure of your house. Regardless of what type of mold has infested your home, you shouldn’t take it lightly.
Preventing Mold Infestation in Your Crawl Space
As mentioned, mold loves warm and humid places, so you need to keep the moisture out of your home in order to keep the mold from thriving in your space. Check the levels of humidity several times a day. If there is always the same level of moisture, it is recommended that you get a dehumidifier.
When you are showering or cooking, you add moisture to the air around you. In order to get rid of it, consider installing exhaust fans in your kitchen and your bathroom. You could also install an HVAC unit with a HEPA filter to remove mold spores that may be present in your home. In addition, keep those areas prone to moisture carpet-free zones, since the carpets in the basement or the kitchen are ideal for mold growth. As soon as you notice that your old books or newspapers have become moldy, throw them away. If you wish to repaint your walls, mix the paint with a mold inhibitor and then apply it.
In order to reduce condensation, especially during colder months, insulate floors, windows, and exterior walls. You could also check your yard and see if it is properly graded. If the ground around your home’s perimeter slopes away, then everything is okay. Otherwise, you will need to regrade your yard so the water isn’t directed toward your foundation. You should fix leaking pipes as well, and dry wet surfaces within 24 hours.
If you have noticed that you have mold in your home, don’t put off calling professionals in Nashville, TN, and scheduling a free estimate. The expert team at AFS Foundation & Waterproofing Specialists can help you find out where the source of your problem is and how you can fix it and prevent it as soon as possible. Otherwise, you may jeopardize your family’s health and your home’s structural stability.