How To Remove Water In Your Crawl Space
With rainy days upon us, you may notice areas around your home that are more water-prone. The rainy season is an excellent opportunity to perform home maintenance checks. These can include checking for leaky basement windows, groundwater flow, and low lying areas. Additionally, checking for water in your crawl space is a good idea.
- Is there any standing or running water along the floor, walls, window areas, or vents?
- Is your basement or crawl space musty, or does it have an unpleasant odor?
- Are any of the exposed wood portions of your home turning different colors?
Close observation can hint at what is required to fix your basement and crawl space issues. Surface water that leaks into the crawl space may be from roof drainage, overflowing gutters, or shifting foundations. Groundwater can also cause damage to the crawl space. Other sources of water in your crawl space include plumbing leaks or burst pipes.
Water in your home leads to excess humidity. That humidity can foster the growth of mold and may encourage dust mites to thrive in your home. Both of these nuisances can agitate allergies in your household.
Solutions For Water In Your Crawl Space
If you have water in your crawl space, here’s what AFS can do to help.
AquaStop Drainage System Featuring EZ Flow Technology
- A trench is hand-dug around the entire perimeter inside your crawlspace
- EZ Flow is installed in the trench and properly sloped to the sump pump location(s)
- Soil is then backfilled around the drainage system
- Groundwater is now captured and directed to the sealed sump pump system
Hiring AFS Foundation & Waterproofing Specialists
Don’t let standing water sit in your crawl space for weeks or even months. With time, unaddressed water seeping into your home will become more costly over time. Consequentially, wooden beams and joists may begin to rot, and various strains of mold can develop. You will have to fix these issues when it comes time to sell or upgrade your house. Who wants to buy a property with a wet basement, crawl space, or foundation problems?
So, be productive this rainy season! Perform the necessary spot checks around your home and call on AFS Foundations and Waterproofing Specialists for a free inspection if you have questions about your home’s condition.