Moisture in Your Crawl Space
The crawl space is a vital part of your home, offering access to key utilities while supporting your home’s structure. Moisture in this area, however, can cause a range of issues, threatening both your home’s condition and your family’s health.
Excess moisture fosters mold, attracts pests, deteriorates wood, and increases energy costs as humidity seeps into your living areas. This humidity can originate from multiple sources. Although crawl spaces are inherently moist, excessive dampness can lead to serious damage.
As homeowners ourselves, we at AFS recognize the challenges of dealing with these problems. We are experts in detecting and solving these prevalent issues, ensuring your crawl space stays dry and efficient.
This page delves into the causes and indicators of crawl space moisture and how AFS’s unique crawl space encapsulation methods permanently eliminate these issues from your home.
What Is Crawl Space Moisture?
Crawl space moisture encompasses any water present, be it from condensation, leaks, or elevated humidity levels.
All crawl spaces hold some moisture due to their proximity to the ground. Nonetheless, excessive moisture is problematic. When crawl space humidity exceeds about 55%, it becomes a concern.
High humidity in the crawl space leads to several problems, including:
- Mold growth
- Wood rot
- Wet crawl space insulation
- High energy bills
- Sagging floors
- Musty crawl space smells
- Pests in the crawl space
Excessive moisture can infiltrate your living areas, creating an unhealthy indoor environment and undermining your home’s structural base. In the Southeast United States, where the climate can vary, keeping a crawl space dry is essential for protecting your home.
What Causes Crawl Space Moisture?
Moisture gets into a crawl space in multiple ways. It’s important to understand the different possibilities so you can prepare your home for the following issues:
- Location: Due to their position under your home and a common dirt floor design, crawl spaces are naturally moisture-prone, especially after a storm.
- Weather: The Southeast United States experiences a humid climate. The region’s diverse weather patterns, including rain, snow, and humidity, significantly contribute to moisture issues.
- Open Vents and Gaps in the Structure: Open vents in crawl spaces allow outdoor moisture in. Holes around pipes and cables also let in humid air.
- Condensation: Warm, humid air from outside makes the crawl space humid, which leads to condensation on cool surfaces below your home.
- Water Leaks: Leaks in walls and vents lead to rain and groundwater entering the crawl space.
- Plumbing Issues: Leaks in crawl space plumbing add additional moisture to the area and increase humidity.
- Surface Water: Inadequate drainage causes rain and surface water to accumulate around the foundation, leading to water in the crawl space.
Addressing these factors is critical for your home’s structural health and your family’s well-being.
Can You Fix Crawl Space Moisture?
Indeed, crawl space moisture issues are solvable. Addressing this problem is vital for ensuring safety and maintaining structural integrity.
Many homeowners think a simple dehumidifier in the crawl space is sufficient. However, we advise against DIY crawl space repairs, as they offer only temporary and potentially risky solutions.
Our AFS professionals employ effective strategies to address moisture at its source. We tailor solutions based on a thorough inspection of your crawl space, pinpointing where moisture enters and the most effective remedies.
How We Fix Crawl Space Moisture
AFS takes the following critical steps to resolve crawl space moisture:
- Conduct an in-depth inspection to pinpoint specific issues and their causes.
- Seal off crawl space vents and replace access doors to prevent external air and water entry.
- Install an interior drainage system and a sump pump to collect and expel water.
- Lay drainage matting on the floor to guide water towards the drainage system.
- Attach thermal insulation panels to the walls to regulate internal temperatures.
- Encapsulate the floor and walls with a vapor barrier.
- Install a dehumidifier to control humidity levels.
- Place IntelliJack™ crawl space support posts for even more protection.
- Offer regular maintenance checks to ensure continued protection.
At AFS, our exclusive products are specifically designed to create drier, healthier crawl spaces. Our encapsulation systems feature advanced technology for enduring moisture management unavailable elsewhere.
Why Address Crawl Space Moisture Now
Tackling crawl space moisture early is the most advantageous step for your home. Here are the reasons:
- Prevent Structural Harm: Moisture can weaken your home’s foundation and lead to structural issues. Prompt intervention ensures your property’s durability.
- Ensure a Healthy Living Space: A moisture-free crawl space prevents mold, fostering a healthier indoor environment.
- Mitigate Pest Infestations: Damp areas attract pests. Resolving moisture problems helps keep them away.
- Enhance Energy Efficiency: A dry crawl space improves insulation, preventing high energy bills in the future.
AFS’s comprehensive and exclusive solutions are your optimal choice for complete home protection, offering a lasting solution and peace of mind.
Contact AFS for Dependable Crawl Space Solutions
Don’t let crawl space moisture undermine your home’s integrity and your family’s health. Rely on AFS for safeguarding your home and improving your living conditions.
Our moisture solutions are tailored to address the specific issues in your crawl space. We provide complete encapsulation systems to transform your crawl space into a clean, dry area. Reach out today to schedule a free crawl space inspection and protect your home!
Venting your crawl space is a thing of the past. Nowadays, by keeping crawl space vents open, you can put your home and your family in danger.
When it comes to crawl space waterproofing, every homeowner needs to take into consideration the price, among various other factors.
Most homeowners won’t go down to their crawl space the entire time they own their home, as it is seen to be a useless space. As it is usually damp and dark, and often home to unwelcome pests, many homeowners won’t check in on it until something becomes wrong. One of the telltale signs that you’re dealing with problems in your crawl space is musty or foul […]
Last Modified Date:
Explore more problem signs
130 Interstate Commerce Crt. Bldg. 100 & 200
Alabaster, AL 35007
214 Industrial Park Dr.
Soddy-Daisy, TN 37379
2701 Opelika Road
Phenix City, AL 36870
1909 Montgomery Hwy, Suite 322,
Dothan, AL 36303
118 E Mobile St
Florence, AL 35630
2415 Jordan Road
Huntsville, AL 35811
3028 E Governor John Sevier Highway
Knoxville, TN 37914
3131 Hamilton Blvd.
Theodore, AL 36582
445 Dexter Avenue, Suite 4050
Montgomery, AL 36104
1519 Heil Quaker Blvd.
LaVergne, TN 37086
89 W. Hood Dr.
Pensacola, FL 32534