The concrete sidewalks outside your home are used by all sorts of people including friends, family, and neighbors. However, sidewalks are susceptible to damage just like any concrete structure. One of the most common types of damage is cracking, and it causes some serious problems.
These cracks often arise from various sources like changing weather or shifting soil. A damaged sidewalk not only reduces your property’s curb appeal but also poses the chance of injury for anyone using the pathway.
AFS understands the safety implications and aesthetic concerns of deteriorating concrete pathways. With industry leading concrete lifting methods, we ensure pathways are brought back to a secure and functional condition. Learn everything you need to know about why sidewalks crack and the ways you can fix it.
What Is a Cracked Sidewalk?
A damaged sidewalk shows evident splits or separations in the concrete walkway, typically seen around homes or business premises.
These separations can vary in dimension and depth, compromising the walkway’s integrity. However, these fissures are more than just aesthetic issues. They indicate underlying problems and can be a source of accidents, emphasizing the importance of prompt repairs.
If not addressed, cracks in the sidewalk will widen and become more severe. This may lead to even worse structural complications.
Additionally, cracks that are ignored will cause concrete slab misalignment which could extend to your home’s foundation. It’s crucial to consult experts like AFS to ensure your property remains in excellent condition.
What Causes Sidewalk Cracks?
Reasons for sidewalk damage encompass:
- Soil Movement: Changes in the ground beneath sidewalks can result in concrete displacement and fissures, especially in regions with abundant clay soil.
- Soil Erosion: Excessive water or rainfall near pathways can wash away the supporting soil, compromising the concrete’s integrity.
- Tree Growth: Growing tree roots can shift the supporting soil, leading to sinking and fissuring of the walkway.
- Freeze-Thaw Cycles: Water entering gaps and undergoing freeze-thaw processes can intensify the cracks.
- Poor Concrete Preparation: Incorrectly prepared concrete might eventually crack as its composition weakens.
Recognizing these issues early will only increase your chances for a durable and effective repair. Having an understanding of the causes behind all concrete damage will ensure you catch the problem before it gets worse.
Can You Fix a Cracked Sidewalk?
Certainly, cracked sidewalks can be mended, but it’s crucial to respond promptly. As the cracks intensify, the repair options narrow down.
It’s worth noting that typical DIY fixes and outdated methods like mudjacking almost never provide long-term results. Just sealing the cracks with off-the-shelf products won’t tackle the core issue.
For a durable sidewalk repair, consider collaborating with a specialized firm like AFS. We offer a modern solution that outperforms other concrete fixes. It tackles the root causes of cracked sidewalks every time.
How to Fix a Cracked Sidewalk
AFS has a trusted process for lifting and repairing cracked concrete, ensuring lasting results for homeowners throughout the Southeast. The process looks like this:
- Conducting a thorough inspection to identify the core issues and plan the best repair strategy.
- Boring minimal, dime-sized holes into the affected concrete areas.
- Placing our specialized injection tools into the holes.
- Preparing our exclusive two-part polymer foam to create PolyRenewal™.
- Injecting PolyRenewal™ underneath the compromised concrete.
- The foam swiftly expands, filling voids, lifting the concrete, and solidifying within 15 minutes.
- This procedure not only elevates the concrete but also fortifies the underlying soil.
- Removing injection ports and sealing the holes.
- Ensuring any cracks are sealed to prevent future water intrusion.
- Providing periodic maintenance to ensure lasting performance.
AFS’s strategy combines alleviating symptoms with addressing fundamental issues. Our custom solutions meet your specific needs, outshining traditional methods.
Why Address Sidewalk Cracks Now
Prompt rectification of uneven sidewalks is critical for a number of reasons. In fact, you can experience the following benefits when you repair a cracked sidewalk:
- Avoid Injury: Uneven and cracked concrete sections pose tripping risks.
- Evade Legal Issues: Faulty sidewalks can result in legal ramifications if someone gets hurt.
- Avoid Escalating Repair Costs: Over time, untreated issues can lead to pricier solutions like full concrete replacement. Acting early will help you save on future repair costs.
- Maintain Property Value: Damaged sidewalks can impact property transactions and reduce overall appeal. Prospective buyers prefer problem-free pathways.
For all-encompassing sidewalk repair solutions, trust AFS, delivering unparalleled techniques and services.
Contact AFS for Trustworthy Concrete Lifting Solutions
Don’t let your walkways degrade further. Tackle the risks and unsightliness of cracked sidewalks with AFS. Our pioneering methods ensure the longevity and beauty of your sidewalks.
Our team has been aiding Southeast US homeowners since 2000. We’re renowned for our exceptional customer experience and cutting-edge solutions. Reach out now for a free, no-obligation evaluation, and let us rejuvenate your property’s safety and allure!
Preventing concrete damage is easier than ever with modern concrete leveling techniques. Learn why in this ultimate guide!
Sinking concrete is a common problem many homeowners have to face. It’s noticeable in driveways, sidewalks, and on the stairs in your yard or on the front porch. Cracks and uneven sidewalks aren’t only unappealing to look at, they can also become a hazard, especially during the winter when snowfall makes them less noticeable. Luckily, […]
Last Modified Date:
Explore more problem signs
130 Interstate Commerce Crt. Bldg. 100 & 200
Alabaster, AL 35007
214 Industrial Park Dr.
Soddy-Daisy, TN 37379
2701 Opelika Road
Phenix City, AL 36870
1909 Montgomery Hwy, Suite 322,
Dothan, AL 36303
118 E Mobile St
Florence, AL 35630
2415 Jordan Road
Huntsville, AL 35811
3028 E Governor John Sevier Highway
Knoxville, TN 37914
3131 Hamilton Blvd.
Theodore, AL 36582
445 Dexter Avenue, Suite 4050
Montgomery, AL 36104
1519 Heil Quaker Blvd.
LaVergne, TN 37086
89 W. Hood Dr.
Pensacola, FL 32534