This issue usually stems from problems in your crawl space, such as dampness or pests. When these issues extend to your living areas, it’s only a matter of time before the entire home starts to suffer.
AFS has seen firsthand the headache sagging floors cause and is dedicated to helping homeowners solve the issue with our leading crawl space repair solutions. This page offers insight into the causes and indicators of sagging floors, the importance of fixing them, and how AFS can assist.
What Are Sagging Floors?
Sagging floors are characterized by an uneven slope or a noticeable dip and can feel unstable or unsafe underfoot. This happens when the support system underneath, primarily the floor joists, fails to bear the load above, compromising your home’s structural soundness.
Sagging floors are usually accompanied by other issues including creaky noises, tripping hazards, and shifting furniture. Be on the lookout for more issues like:
- Bouncy floors
- Uneven floors
- Musty odors
- Cracks in your drywall
- Gaps between walls and floors
- Stuck doors and windows
Neglecting sagging floors may lead to their complete separation from the supports in your crawl space. Eventually, this takes a toll on your home’s structure and puts your loved ones at risk, underscoring the need for professional repair as soon as possible.
What Causes Sagging Floors?
Sagging floors are caused by a variety of factors. Unfortunately, most of them are out of your control and some are easy to miss because they occur under your home.
Still, it’s beneficial to have an awareness of the causes behind sagging floors. It makes it that much easier to act quickly if you do notice an issue. Here’s what to look out for:
- Water in the Crawl Space: Excess moisture in the crawl space causes wooden structures to absorb water, leading to decay and structural failure.
- Pests Below Your Home: Wood-eating insects such as termites weaken the subfloor structure.
- Floor Joist Problems: Spacing issues with floor joists lead to inadequate floor support.
- Installation Errors: Inadequate installation can precipitate floor sagging.
- Foundation Damage: Movement or settling of the foundation can lead to misalignment of floor joists.
- Home Age: Natural wear and deterioration over time can contribute to floor sagging.
Promptly identifying and addressing the primary cause of sagging floors with expert help is critical for an effective resolution.
Can You Fix Sagging Floors?
Certainly, sagging floors are repairable, yet it requires professional knowledge and quality materials for a proper and lasting fix. DIY attempts such as sistering floor joists or bolstering floors with makeshift supports (like cinder blocks) won’t actually solve the root of the problem.
Not to mention, going into the crawl space poses its own risks and is better handled by professionals equipped with the proper gear and experience. A comprehensive approach is key for a durable fix.
How We Fix Sagging Floors
AFS provides specialized solutions to resolve sagging floors thoroughly, ensuring your home’s safety and stability. Our approach to mending sagging floors includes:
- Conduct a thorough inspection to identify damage and devise a repair plan.
- Precisely measure and fit steel IntelliJack™ supports to suit your crawl space dimensions.
- Set a solid concrete footing in the crawl space for base support.
- Install the IntelliJack™ supports and attach them securely to floor joists.
- Carefully adjust the supports (if needed) to stabilize the floors.
- Implement waterproofing measures including drainage systems and sump pumps.
- Seal vents and install new doors if needed.
- Insulate the walls of the crawl space.
- Encapsulate with a 20-mil vapor barrier.
- Install dehumidification system to continuously control moisture.
- Offer ongoing maintenance to guarantee a lasting fix.
Our IntelliJack™ Crawl Space Jacks are designed to offer solid support and safeguard your home’s structural integrity. They can be adjusted over time by our team as needed, with the potential to restore your floors to their original position.
Why Address Sagging Floors Now
Immediate action against sagging floors offers many benefits. Some of the most immediate benefits include the following:
- Prevent Escalating Damage: Prompt repairs can stop further damage to your floors and avert issues like cracks in walls and jammed windows or doors.
- Avoid Expensive Overhauls: Delays can lead to complex, costly repairs, and in some cases, complete floor replacement might be necessary.
- Safety Assurance: Addressing the issue enhances safety by eliminating potential trip hazards.
- Maintain Property Value: A home with a sound structure retains its worth and attractiveness, safeguarding your investment.
Don’t wait—secure your home’s foundation with AFS’s reliable solutions and restore your floors to a firm and level state. Act now to protect your most significant investment—your home.
Contact AFS for Dependable Sagging Floor Solutions
If you see even small signs of a sagging floor in your home, don’t wait. Fixing it for good requires swift and professional help. Trust AFS to help you through the process!
Our IntelliJack™ Crawl Space Jacks and integrated services ensure durable support precisely where needed. Reach out today to schedule your no-cost inspection and keep your most valuable asset safe!
We’ve pulled together an overview of the plants and trees to avoid in your yard. Find out how to protect your home from costly mistakes and from invasive plants.
From E.coli to pesticides and flesh eating bacteria, floodwaters can be more contaminated than you may realize. Find out what could be in the floodwaters of Alabama.
Last Modified Date:
Explore more problem signs
130 Interstate Commerce Crt. Bldg. 100 & 200
Alabaster, AL 35007
214 Industrial Park Dr.
Soddy-Daisy, TN 37379
2701 Opelika Road
Phenix City, AL 36870
1909 Montgomery Hwy, Suite 322,
Dothan, AL 36303
118 E Mobile St
Florence, AL 35630
2415 Jordan Road
Huntsville, AL 35811
3028 E Governor John Sevier Highway
Knoxville, TN 37914
3131 Hamilton Blvd.
Theodore, AL 36582
445 Dexter Avenue, Suite 4050
Montgomery, AL 36104
1519 Heil Quaker Blvd.
LaVergne, TN 37086
89 W. Hood Dr.
Pensacola, FL 32534