Discovering gaps between your home’s floors and walls is an early indication of foundation troubles. This issue isn’t just about aesthetics; floor and wall gaps eventually lead to wide-reaching structural damage that jeopardizes your home’s safety.
Neglecting floor and wall gaps is never a good idea, and we can help! With over two decades of experience addressing foundation issues in the southeast United States, AFS is your trusted partner in resolving significant problems like floor and wall gaps and preventing their recurrence.
What Are Floor Gaps?
Floor and wall gaps refer to any noticeable separation between the floors and walls inside your home. These unsettling gaps emerge when your floors begin to detach from the baseboards due to a settling foundation.
Because floor and wall gaps are strong indicators of foundation damage, ignoring them can jeopardize your home’s overall structural integrity. Taking prompt action can help prevent other foundation problems, including:
AFS offers cutting-edge solutions designed to eliminate floor and wall gaps, stabilize your foundation, and give you peace of mind.
What Leads to Floor Gaps?
Several factors can contribute to gaps between your floors and walls:
The most common cause of floor and wall gaps is foundation settlement. When the soil beneath your home becomes unstable due to changes in moisture or other environmental factors, it causes the foundation to shift.
Once this happens, the foundation will no longer provide reliable support. This imbalance leads to structural damage in your home like floor gaps.
Weak Floor Joists
If your home is built over a crawl space and the floor joists deteriorate—either due to excessive stress or moisture-induced issues like wood rot—the flooring will sag, leading to noticeable gaps.
Certain soil types, such as clay, expand and contract as moisture levels change. This continuous soil movement strains your foundation, ultimately causing gaps between the floors and walls.
Can Floor and Wall Gaps Be Fixed?
Yes, floor and wall gaps can be repaired! However, the appropriate solution should solve the root cause. Covering up gaps with DIY sealants won’t address the underlying foundation issue, so professional assistance is recommended if you want a long-term fix.
How to Repair Floor Gaps
At AFS, our foundation experts are well-versed in the latest industry practices. They’ll conduct a thorough inspection to determine the cause of your floor and wall gaps and then design a customized plan to stabilize your foundation. We use techniques like:
- Foundation Piers: Inserted below a sinking foundation to transfer the load to more stable soil. Depending on the location and extent of damage, helical, push, or slab piers will be used to permanently stabilize (and potentially elevate) your foundation.
- Crawl Space Supports: Adjustable support posts can be placed beneath compromised floor joists to permanently raise and support your floors.
With a quarter-century of experience and a commitment to customer satisfaction, AFS can confidently recommend the right solution to secure your home’s foundation.
Why Address Floor Gaps Now?
Taking swift action to address these gaps is crucial for several reasons:
- Prevent Further Damage: Ignoring gaps can lead to severe structural issues like sagging floors.
- Save on Repair Costs: DIY or temporary fixes can ultimately cost more in the long run because they don’t address the underlying problem, which only worsens over time.
- Avoid Additional Headaches: Unsealed gaps can introduce moisture and pests, potentially leading to mold infestations.
- Maintain Home Comfort: Gaps can cause drafts and temperature fluctuations, increasing your energy bills.
- Protect Home Value: Ignoring foundation issues can significantly reduce your property’s value.
Floor and wall gaps are symptoms of underlying foundation problems that will worsen and become costlier if neglected. Act now by reaching out to AFS for a comprehensive, permanent solution.
Choose AFS for Floor and Wall Gap Solutions
AFS offers reliable, custom solutions for your floor and wall gap issues by strengthening your home’s foundation. We stand by our work and strive for your complete satisfaction.
Contact us today to schedule your complimentary inspection and explore our budget friendly financing options. Our team of experts will thoroughly assess your home, recommend the best solutions, and guide you through payment options that suit your budget.
Don’t delay—secure your most valuable asset with AFS, your trusted local partner in maintaining a safe and stable home!
What kind of problems might you encounter with your foundation during your tenure as a homeowner? How can these problems worsen over time?
Are you delaying your foundation repair? You may be making your problems much worse – and more expensive.